Sunday, October 17, 2010

Broadening My Horizons

The wheels have started turning - my story is under way! I've been doing some research now for a couple weeks and I've learned a couple things in the process.

1) There are so many more ways to search something on the Internet instead of simply using Google or Yahoo!. Before this class started, I didn't use much of anything besides Yahoo! for searching things. My professor would call this type of searching, 'surfing the web.' Since then though, I've learned to 'dive into the web.' By using library databases, advanced searches, blogs, Twitter, etc., I've been able to do some really awesome research for my story that I probably wouldn't be able to do beforehand.

2) After a while of searching the same search terms in any website, you a lot of times get the same results. I guess I could thank the wonderful Internet for this, because it's made me be a lot more creative about what I'm trying to search and find. It has also helped me make my story topic a lot more specific. At the beginning of this class, I wanted to write simply about Job Corps in general. After my hardcore research thus far, I've learned that there is so much information on the problems with Job Corps, specifically with crime-related problems, which is my topic now.

At times all this researching can be a nuisance, but I'm enjoying the process thus far!

Here's to more (hopefully) happy posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment