Monday, November 15, 2010

Facing the Challenges

Let's start with some good news! I have finished my multimedia for my Job Corps piece. I decided to do a Google map of all the different Job Corps centers in the United States and Puerto Rico. I think it looks really cool now that it's finished, but let me tell ya, it sure took a long time to find all those places on the map and then separate them all into the different Job Corps center regions. My other multimedia piece is a wordle. For this I decided to directly link the wordle with Job Corps Fraud Blog website. It's filled with words that are used the most on their site. It'd be interesting to compare that with a wordle from the official Job Corps website. Maybe I'll do that just for fun and see the differences...

Anyhoo, I still haven't been able to meet with the Job Corps student, but I'm supposed (not getting my hopes up at this point) to be getting a rental car this afternoon and I've scheduled to go to the Flint Hills Job Corps tomorrow afternoon for the interview. Hopefully all goes well for this, because this might be my final interview  I need for my story. Unless, of course, I want more later... but probably not.

Also, I called the guy working at the Department of Labor and had an, uh, interesting interview with him. After about ten minutes of tense conversation, he decided to tell me he doesn't work directly for Job Corps anymore, like I thought he did. Not only did I feel stupid, but I'm sure he saw it as a major waste of his time, too. Oh well, what can you do? I was going to try and call someone who actually works for Job Corps this week, so I'll keep you updated on that.

I'm feeling kind of behind, since I don't even have my sidebar done, but hopefully with my Flint Hills Job Corps student interview, I can get that knocked out of the park and put all my focus on the main piece!

1 comment: